Friday, October 3, 2014

Strawberry shrub


You may remember I was tinkering with a shrub recipe (drink, not woody plant!) recently, and requested help with names?

That was for a strawberry story on Gardenista today - a tale of two strawberries, and which one survived the move to Harlem. And yes, the drink has a name.

And, another yes, I still have strawberries on the terrace, right now. Well. Three. Ripe ones, I mean.

And I recently pre-ordered a copy of Michael Dietsch's Shrubs: An Old Fashioned Drink for Modern Times.  Michael is a mixmeister who writes for Serious Eats, and is married to a food blogger whose posts I've read for years, Jennifer Hess.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, I used to have the Rügen strawberry on several balconies in Europe and was sad that I had to leave it behind when moving to NY. Hopefully the GRDN will have it again in spring. Out of curiosity I researched its origin: 1920 the first plant was developed on the German island Rügen in the Baltic Sea. I had a yellow fruit variety as well which tasted slightly sweeter. I am puzzled though about the name "alpine strawberry" in English while it is "forest strawberry" in German.
    Thank you for your great blog, it is a wonderful inspiration for myself to do more exploring and foraging in the surprisingly "wild" NY.
    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kerstin - I love plant histories. Thank you.

      Common names for plants usually vary a lot, and Fragaria vesca (the botanical name, which precedes the cultivar name) of this strawberry is also known fraises des bois/forest strawberry, wild strawberry, and Alpine etc. Alpine is what most nurseries call it, anyhow.

      Botanically, though, the true Alpine strawberry is Fragaria alpina.

      Enjoy wild NY :-)

      Delete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.