Thursday, November 21, 2013

Horse radish and citrus



Some cashiers, like the one at Fairway, are really uncomfortable handling the horse radish (stage right) at check out.

Most of them hold it gingerly and ask, "What is this?"

Despite its startling appearance, it's wonderful eaten very soon after being grated (leave it out too long and the powerful wasabi flavour dissipates).


I celebrated my recent citrus bonanza with a Kir, in which I floated a few yuzu slices. Lovely things - extremely juicy and thin-skinned. I wonder for how long they will be available...I juiced many for our dinner party roast chickens last night and decided to preserve their shells in salt: the skin is very fragrant and will be an easy last minute ingredient to add to monk fish stews and chicken tagines, or roasted vegetables.

The etrog citron has filled the whole apartment with its scent, as promised, and today the Meyers will be salted and put in the fridge. 

4 comments:

  1. I have a Meyers lemon tree/bush/plant that has produced 7 lemons this year. I was thinking of incorporating them into a Thanks giving dish. You mentioned salting them? Is this in your book? I will be making brown bread this weekend.For my Family Table (hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grow my horse radish, well it's one of those things you know about if you live in rural England. We like horseradish with cream, it does make one's eyes water. Great in all sorts of things with coleslaw, beef and Yorkshire pudding and tonight I had it on a baked potato!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes horseradish and cream on cold meats! Mniam, mniam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I will admit I am not familiar with using FRESH horseradish but you have got me curious.
    ~Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.