Thursday, November 14, 2013

Fig, rehomed


The fig has a new home. I did not want to let it overwinter in its current container, which it had outgrown, yet again. So I rootpruned it as I do every year, but this time transplanted it at last (after...seven years?) to a larger pot. It still had all its leaves, and ideally it should have been done once they'd dropped. I don't advise following my example. While this cold weather is perfect for the job, all its leaves mean it's still in active food production mode, so chances of shock are high.


Looks a bit stumpy.

6 comments:

  1. Fig will be fine, I'm sure. I can't wait to see the new, bigger terrace in full slap, bursting with greenery : ) Will you be applying a dash of that fabulous 66SF rouge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fig looks good in its new home, and I am sure it will thrive there -- and after 7 years, it has earned a little bigger pot, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to even ask for fear of tempting fate, but...how do you keep your terra cotta pots from cracking in the winter? I've had good luck with glazed pots that have the classic wider at the top shape, but my terra cotta left outside all winter at least splinters and sometimes cracks badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just tell them that if they crack, they will be sorry. One must be firm.

      Delete
    2. But I don't know why they don't all crack. They just don't. Occasionally, of course, one does, but it's a loss that I can deal with - so far. Who knows. Maybe the new space will be different.

      I do find Italian-made pots to be more durable.

      Delete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.